Originally Cox Town, named for early settlers Thomas and Henry Cox (1663). Changed to Marlborough to honor Duke for defeating French at Battle of Blenheim (1704), which reduced French and Indian attacks on the colonies. An early port of entry (1683), the town by the mid-18th century boasted warehouses, stores, taverns, a mill, racetrack, school and many stately homes. "Lower" was added to the name to distinguish it from Prince George's County seat, and in 19th century both towns adopted "Marlboro" spelling. Patuxent Manor still stands near here. Paneling from its great room is displayed in Winterthur Museum.