In 1906, the State Legislature granted St. Lawrence University a charter to operate a School of Agriculture, since the nearest similar school was over 200 miles away at Cornell. The male student body was taught modern farming and dairying methods, while women took classes in domestic science and housekeeping. An "Aggie" domestic science class in 1911 Memorial Halls's original use was as an official U.S.D.A. weather station. It then served as headquarters of SLU's ROTC program. Today it houses offices for SLU's Environmental and Canadian Studies departments. For years, the main building of the School of Agriculture was called Cook Hall, in honor of an early Dean of the school. It was renamed in 1983 for SLU President Emeritius Frank Piskor. The former Ag school dairy building was for many years the home of North Country Public Radio. St Lawrence's Admissions and Financial Aid Offices are inside Payson Hall today. The main buildings of the Ag school, now called Piskor Hall, Payson Hall, and Memorial Hall, were constructed between 1909 and 1911. Fields, barns, and other outbuildings were placed elsewhere on the grounds. In time, the School of Agriculture was renamed the Agricultural and Technical Institute, and by 1948, the State University of New York took over its operation. In 1969, a new campus for Canton ATC, today's SUNY Canton, opened across town and St. Lawrence University reacquired its original Ag school buildings, all of which are fully renovated and in use.