In 1810, Vermont State Law required towns to raise a minimum of 1 cent on the dollar in property taxes for support of town schools. The one room schoolhouse before you was built between 1815 and 1827 to serve students on the area once known as South Beach or District #4. Attendence varied based on the season and for example would drop during planting or harvesting time as children were needed to help on the family farm. In 1833 there were 41 pupils between the ages of 4 and 18 enrolled in this school. Older children often assisted the younger ones with their lessons so the teacher could work with other students. The subjects taught were arithmetic, spelling, reading, penmanship, geography and English. Over time the State of Vermont took a more active role in both regulating and promoting education. In 1845 state law mandated that teachers be certified. In 1864, children between the ages of 8 and 14 were required to attend school for at least 3 months and local school taxes were removed creating a free public school system. A textbook law was established in 1894 and ten years later that State set standards for ventilation, sanitation and lighting. In 1911 water coolers were purchased for schools to replace the common water bucket and dipper. This schoolhouse was closed in 1928 in favor of the "new" Malletts Bay Schol as the existing building could no longer meet state standards. Teacher Elsie Gray stands next to the flagpole at School #4, circa 1927. Courtesy of Dawn Hazelett and the Colchester Historical Society As shown on the map from 1869, a dispersed population required the establishment of fouteen school districts within the town. District #4's schoolhouse was formerly located on Lakeshore Drive, just east of its intersection with Prim Road. In 2000, John R. and Angela MacDonald deeded the school to the Colchester Historical Society. Through the efforts of the Society the school was moved more than four miles here to Airport Park. Children in costume for an "Alice in Wonderland" production at the "New" Malletts Bay School, circa 1930s.