The West Channel of the Grasse River

The West Channel of the Grasse River (HM1NZS)

Location: Canton, NY 13617 St. Lawrence County
Country: United States of America

N 44° 35.761', W 75° 10.5'

  • 0 likes
  • 0 check ins
  • 0 favorites
  • 184 views
Inscription
Directly across this west channel is the site where the Eagle Mill was built in 1842 by Henry Van Rensselaer. This grist mill was a four-story, 45 by 65 foot sandstone structure. Over the years it passed through many hands, and in the early 2th century it was known as the Bullis mill. John P. Coakley purchased it in 1917 and used it as a warehouse. It was razed in 1959 and the Cascade Restaurant and Motel were built on the site. Canton Town and Village Historian The west channel dam, 250 feet in length, ran from the corner of the D.W. Sherwin Grist Mill here on Falls Island to just below the Eagle Mill across the river on the west bank. The dam raised the height of the water and created a mill pond that allowed a number of industries on the islands to develop the use of water power. A wooden or metal flume brought water from the dam to the water wheel or turbine at the mill site. At the mouth of the flume a trash rack kept logs and debris from entering the mill race and a gate controlled the amount of water in the race. A waterwheel or turbine at the end of the flume was propelled by the moving force of water and the gravitational power of falling water. That water power was transferred from the wheel by gears and a drive shaft and could be used to turn mill stones to grind grain, saw wood, chop and press apples or generate electricity. SLHA [St. Lawrence County Historical Association] When the snows melted in the spring, the "Freshets" - or spring floods— brought tons of ice and floodwaters that moved logs downstream in the log drives. These floods also had the power to do significant damage to dams, buildings, property, and human life. Canton Town and Village Historian A wooden covered bridge was built ove rthe west channel in 1863. It was replaced in 1904 by a single span steel and concrete bridge. SLCHA In 1824, a law made the Grasse River a public highway, from the mouth to the High Falls south of Canton, and dams were allowed to be erected on condition that passages or sluices should be made for fish to pass. In the early 1800s, salmon were caught as far up the Grasse River as Russell. Canton Town and Village Historian
Details
HM NumberHM1NZS
Tags
Placed ByGrasse River Heritage
Marker ConditionNo reports yet
Date Added Thursday, September 17th, 2015 at 9:01pm PDT -07:00
Pictures
Sorry, but we don't have a picture of this historical marker yet. If you have a picture, please share it with us. It's simple to do. 1) Become a member. 2) Adopt this historical marker listing. 3) Upload the picture.
Locationbig map
UTM (WGS84 Datum)18T E 486110 N 4938089
Decimal Degrees44.59601667, -75.17500000
Degrees and Decimal MinutesN 44° 35.761', W 75° 10.5'
Degrees, Minutes and Seconds44° 35' 45.66" N, 75° 10' 30" W
Driving DirectionsGoogle Maps
Area Code(s)315
Closest Postal AddressAt or near 7 Stillman Dr, Canton NY 13617, US
Alternative Maps Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap

Is this marker missing? Are the coordinates wrong? Do you have additional information that you would like to share with us? If so, check in.

Check Ins  check in   |    all

Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.

Comments 0 comments

Maintenance Issues
  1. Is this marker part of a series?
  2. What historical period does the marker represent?
  3. What historical place does the marker represent?
  4. What type of marker is it?
  5. What class is the marker?
  6. What style is the marker?
  7. Does the marker have a number?
  8. What year was the marker erected?
  9. This marker needs at least one picture.
  10. Can this marker be seen from the road?
  11. Is the marker in the median?