The 14-block Charles Center project, begun in 1958, was the first piece of Baltimore's nationally recognized downtown Renaissance. the 33-acre project was strategically placed between the financial district on the east side and the retail district on the west. The new development consisted of office buildings, apartments, retail space, a hotel, a theatre, and parking facilities. Four older structures in the Charles Center area have remained, the Lord Baltimore Hotel (1928), the Baltimore Gas and Electric Building (1916), the Fidelity Building (1894) and the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad Building (1905).Baltimore City Heritage Area Sheila Dixon, Mayor
The centerpiece of the development was One Charles Center. This 23-story aluminum-and-glass International Style office building constructed in 1962 was designed by Mies Van Der Rohe. The building had a pioneering role in the introduction of the International Style of Modernism to Baltimore.
National Register of Historic Places