This ancient burial ground of Central Ohio was established in a bend of the Scioto River in 1799 and is known as "Old Franklinton Cemetery". The pioneers buried here are about one hundred in number. Seventy-one graves are marked largely by sandstone slabs, many having elaborately carved drawings and quaint inscriptions.Sponsored by WBNS-TV
Here also is buried at least one soldier of the American Revolution, Reverend Seth Noble, first minister of the frontier town. In 1811 the first church in the community, Presbyterian, was erected by Lucas Sullivant, the founder of Franklinton, upon the present burial grounds. Sullivant himself was buried here in 1824, but his remains were moved to Green Lawn Cemetery years later. In 1931 the West Side Board of Trade erected a granite obelisk monument in the center of the cemetery, twenty-six feet in height. The memorial contains two commemorative tablets, one of which reads "In this Churchyard Stood the First Church of the Community. Built and Presented to the Congregation by Lucas Sullivant in 1811."
"The strange, unknown people who built the ancient mounds and works near here knew the
attractions and worth of this favored Scioto Valley."
Erected May 3, 1962 - Columbus Sesquicentennial Year by the Franklin County Historical Society
Replaced by the Franklin County Historical Society 2005 · Sponsored by GFS Chemicals, Inc., Est. 1928