German Prisoner of War CampIn the spring of 1944 a high fence and four guard towers transformed a former Civilian Conservation Corps camp on this site into New Hampshire's sole World War II prisoner of war camp. Approximately 250 German and Austrian soldiers, most captured in North Africa and Normandy, lived in Camp Stark while working in the forest cutting pulpwood vital to wartime industry. The camp closed in the spring of 1946 when the prisoners of war were returned to their homeland. Several maintained the new friendships they had formed with local residents. Germans and Americans attended a reunion here in 1986.
|Placed By||New Hampshire Division of Historical Resources|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Sunday, August 30th, 2015 at 9:03pm PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||19T E 310575 N 4943350|
|Decimal Degrees||44.61855000, -71.38760000|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 44° 37.113', W 71° 23.256'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||44° 37' 6.78" N, 71° 23' 15.36" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Which side of the road?||Marker is on the right when traveling East|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near NH-110, Stark NH 03582, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.