This building, Kiowee Church's sixth meeting house, was erected in 1937 with the help of many Georgia Baptists as a monument to Daniel Marshall. Not later than 1770, he was arrested for preaching in Colonial Georgia at a site east of this marker. At a trial in Augusta before Colonel Edward Barnard and Parson Edward Ellington of the Church of England, he was ordered to "desist from preaching in the province." His wife Martha defended him "with solemn denuciation of law, quoting with fluency passage after passage of scripture." Marshall also replied "whether it be right to obey God rather than man, judge ye." He continued to preach. His arresting officer, Samuel Cartledge, was converted, became a member of Kiowee Church which Marshall began in 1772, was also ordained, and organized and pastored churches in the area. Colonel Bernard became a close fried. Thereafter religious persecution ended in Georgia. The Marshall Historical Site, where Marshall lived and died, is east of this site on Tubman Creek, one mile past Old Kiowee Church.