Le quartier Saint-Léonard

Le quartier Saint-Léonard (HM1MUX)

Location: Honfleur, Basse-Normandie 14600 Calvados
Country: France
Buy France flags at Flagstore.com!

N 49° 25.11', E 0° 14.112'

  • 0 likes
  • 0 check ins
  • 0 favorites
  • 175 views
Inscription

Un peu d'histoire

Ce quartier s'est formé autour de l'église de laquelle il tient son nom. Il est particulièrement vaste. Son territoire faisait jadis partie de la vicomté de Pont-Audemer. Il était limité à l'ouest par la Claire et s'étendait dans la campagne qui l'environnait au sud. L'église et la paroisse de Saint Lénard existaient au XIIème siècle.

Le quartier a donc été habité très anciennement. Tout au long de la seconde partie du XIXe siècle, il a connu un grand développement en raison de sa proximité avec les industries, les bassins et la gare ferroviaire.

L'église Saint-Léonard a subi bien des vicissitudes à travers les siècles. Détruite pendant la guerre de Cent ans, rebâtie à la fin du XVe siècle et au début du XVIe siècle, elle fut en partie incendiée en 1562 pendant les guerres de religion; ses statues furent mutilées à cette époque. Seules subsistent la première travée de la nef et la façade. Le beau portail flamboyant peut être considéré comme une dernière expression de l'art médiéval.

Au-dessus du portail, on remarque dans une baie cintrée, le grand cadran d'horloge du XVIIIe siècle. Le clocher octogonal date de 1760. Il est décoré dans sa partie supérieure d'élégants bas-reliefs représentant des instruments de musique. Le reste de l'édifice date du XVIIe siècle (notamment le portail latéral). Sur le mur du chevet, on peut lire 1625. En 1899 l'intérieur a été recouvert de fresques.
Dans le chœur, à droite, figure "la translation des reliques de Saint Léonard" exécutée par Krug.

La rue Saint Léonard, anciennement dénommée Chemin du Roi, tient son nom de la présence de l'église dédiée à Saint Léonard.

La lavoir tout proche de l'église existait sous forme de fontaine dès le XVe siècle. Il fut restauré en 1807.

Dans le quartier, diverses demeures ont abrité des personnages célèbres:
- au 33 rue Saint-Léonard: maison natale de Léon Leclerc, peintre
- au 75 rue Saint-Léonard: maison ou a vécu Charles Bréard, (1839-1913), historien de la ville

Vers le milieu de la rue Saint-Léonard, une rue très montante dénommée "Charrièr St-Léonard" est l'une des plus anciennes de la ville. Elle conduit à la Côte Vassal et au chemin dit du "Petit Saint-Pierre". A partir de ce chemin, la vue sur Honfleur et sur l'estuaire est remarquable.

La rue Bourdet est elle aussi une rue montante qui prend naissance place Saint-Léonard. Au n° 10 s'élève une maison en colombages du XVIe siècle, à l'enseigne du "Vert Galant", où descendit Henri IV.

C'est dans cette même rue au n° 33 que se trouve la maison natale d'Eugène Boudin, peintre des "ciels et de la mer".

Aujourd'hui
En 2001 la place Saint-Léonard a été entièrement repensée et rénovée, de nouveaux commerces se sont installés et de nouvelles activités se sont développées.
C'est un quartier où il fait bon vivre et se promener. Excellente visite.

Tous les commerçants du quartier vous souhaitent la bienvenue et vous accueilleront avec plaisir.

English translation:
This district was formed around the church from which it takes its name. It is particularly extensive. Its territory was once part of the Viscount de Pont-Audemer. It was bounded on the west by Claire and extended into the countryside that surrounded the south. The church and the parish of Saint Léonard existed in the twelfth century.

The area has been inhabited very early. Throughout the second half of the nineteenth century, it was a great development due to its proximity to industry, basins and the train station.

The church of Saint-Léonard has suffered many vicissitudes over the centuries. Destroyed during the Hundred Years War, rebuilt in the late fifteenth century and early sixteenth century, it was partially burned in 1562 during the religious wars; statues were mutilated at that time. All that remains is the first bay of the nave and the facade. The beautiful flamboyant portal can be considered as a last expression of medieval art.

Above the gate, we notice a curved bay, the great eighteenth-century clock dial. The octagonal bell tower dates from 1760. It is decorated in its upper part with elegant bas-reliefs depicting musical instruments. The rest of the building dates from the seventeenth century (including the side gate). On the wall of the apse, it says 1625. In 1899 the interior was covered with frescoes.

In the choir, at right, is the figure "the translation of the relics of Saint Léonard", by Krug.

Rue Saint Léonard, formerly known as King's Way, takes its name from the presence of the church dedicated to Saint Léonard.

The wash house near the church existed as a fountain early as the fifteenth century. It was restored in 1807.

In the neighborhood, several houses have hosted famous personalities:
- 33 Rue Saint-Léonard: birthplace of Leo Leclerc, painter
- At 75 rue Saint-Léonard: home or lived Charles Breard, (1839-1913), historian of the city.

By the middle of the Rue Saint-Léonard, is a very steep street called "Charrier St. Léonard" is one of the oldest in the city. It leads to the Vassal Coast path, called the "Little Saint-Pierre". From this path, the view of Honfleur and the estuary is remarkable.

Bourdet street is also a steep street, starting at Place Saint-Léonard. At No. 10 stands a half-timbered, sixteenth century house, at the sign of the "Vert Galant", where Henry IV stayed.

It is in this same street at No. 33 that is the birthplace of Eugene Boudin, painter of "sky and sea".

Today
In 2001 the Saint-Léonard area was completely redesigned and renovated, with new businesses and new activities.

This is an area in which to live and walk. Excellent tour.

All shopkeepers welcome you and will welcome you.
Details
HM NumberHM1MUX
Tags
Placed ByLe gentilé des habitants de Honfleur
Marker ConditionNo reports yet
Date Added Friday, August 14th, 2015 at 1:01am PDT -07:00
Pictures
Sorry, but we don't have a picture of this historical marker yet. If you have a picture, please share it with us. It's simple to do. 1) Become a member. 2) Adopt this historical marker listing. 3) Upload the picture.
Locationbig map
UTM (WGS84 Datum)30U E 700512 N 5477655
Decimal Degrees49.41850000, 0.23520000
Degrees and Decimal MinutesN 49° 25.11', E 0° 14.112'
Degrees, Minutes and Seconds49° 25' 6.6000" N, 0° 14' 6.7200" E
Driving DirectionsGoogle Maps
Which side of the road?Marker is on the right when traveling East
Closest Postal AddressAt or near 4 Cours des Fossés, Honfleur Basse-Normandie 14600, FR
Alternative Maps Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap

Is this marker missing? Are the coordinates wrong? Do you have additional information that you would like to share with us? If so, check in.

Check Ins  check in   |    all

Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.

Comments 0 comments

Maintenance Issues
  1. Is this marker part of a series?
  2. What historical period does the marker represent?
  3. What historical place does the marker represent?
  4. What type of marker is it?
  5. What class is the marker?
  6. What style is the marker?
  7. Does the marker have a number?
  8. What year was the marker erected?
  9. This marker needs at least one picture.
  10. Can this marker be seen from the road?
  11. Is the marker in the median?