In the late 1890s, Mr. George Bennett, president of Acme Pressed Brick Company, donated funds for the purchase of this bell. For two decades, this bell swung from the bell tower of the Old Main building, serving as a timepiece for what was then Simmons College. The bell signaled the time of day, changing of classes, and the celebration of athletic victories.
When Simmons Science Hall was built in 1918-1919, most of Old Main was torn down and the bell tower destroyed. The bell was unceremoniously placed on the roof of the Science Hall.
In 1944, Mrs. J.D. (Lucile) Sandefer, first lady of Hardin-Simmons University, climbed up on the roof of the Science Hall and had the bell brought down. She and her son, J.D. "Jake" Sandefer Jr., secured the building of this bell tower.
Today the bell silently represents the university's founding, its traditions, and Mrs. Sandefer's love for Hardin-Simmons University.
Dr. Leroy J. Humphries, Class of 1964