In 1828 Richard Duncan Fraser, the son of an early Loyalist settler, Captain Thomas Fraser, donated land here for the building of a church to serve the Anglicans in this area. Their minister, the Reverend J.G. Weagandt, the missionary stationed at Williamsburg, was the former Lutheran who had become embroiled in a bitter local controversy when, in 1812, he persuaded his congregations in Williamsburg and Osnabruck to adopt the Anglican faith. Under his guidance, a stone church was erected here by 1833. Despite the efforts of other early pastors, the Rev. J.G.B. Lindsay and the Rev. E. Boswell, the congregation remained small. In 1872 a new St. Paul's Church was built in nearby Cardinal and, except for this tower, the old structure was taken down.