1756-1922Erected by Col. Benjamin Franklin in the winter of 1758 at the order of the Province of Pennsylvania. The fort consisting of the two block houses and a well. Surrounded by a stockade, was situated 201 feet southwest of this spot. It was used as a base of supplies and as a rendezvous for troops during the period of the French and Indian Wars. The well is the only trace left of the fort.
|Placed By||The Improved Order of Red Men of Pennsylvania, the Public Schools of Carbon County|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Sunday, August 9th, 2015 at 2:03pm PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||18T E 440780 N 4520080|
|Decimal Degrees||40.82961667, -75.70233333|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 40° 49.777', W 75° 42.14'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||40° 49' 46.62" N, 75° 42' 8.4" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Area Code(s)||610, 570, 484|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 108 Franklin St, Lehighton PA 18235, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.