This house, built ca. 1786, is thought to be the oldest house in Abbeville. It was built as a two-story log building by John Quay, who also ran a tavern here. He sold it ca. 1798 to James Wardlaw (1767-1842) and his wife, Quay's stepdaughter Hannah Clarke (1778-1825). James Wardlaw was the Abbeville postmaster and Abbeville District deputy clerk of court 1796-1800, then clerk of court 1800-1838. Ten of the Wardlaws' eleven children were born in this house.
Two sons were delegates to the Secession Convention: David L. Wardlaw (1799-1873), state representative and Speaker of the S.C. House, and later a judge; and Francis H. Wardlaw (1800-1861), newspaper editor, state chancellor, and state representative, from Edgefield. This house was later owned by Col. Thomas Thomson (1813-1881), state representative, delegate to the Secession Convention, Confederate officer, state senator, and judge.