Construction of the St Lawrence Seaway required the flooding of 20,000 acres along the Canadian shoreline between Iroquois and Cornwall. Some of these lands had been settled by loyalists in the 1780s. Between 1955 and 1957, 6,500 residents were relocated many of them to the new communities of Ingleside and Long Sault. Work crews moved buildings to new sites and re-routed highways and railway tracks. Iroquois and part of Morrisburg were rebuilt on higher ground. On "Inundation Day", July 1, 1958, the rising waters of Lake St Lawrence slowly submerged the villages of Aultsville, Farran's Point, Woodlands, Dickinson's Landing, Wales, Moulinette, Mille Roches, and a farming community on Sheek's Island.