The Company's Showplace
— 1845-1954 —Mammoth OperationThe No. 8 first opened in 1845. During its peak in the first half of the 1900's, the colliery grew to a workforce of near 3,000 men. The mine consisted of 8 horizontal levels, the lowest being more that 1,200 feet below the surface and more than 130 feet below sea level. Each level was accessed by a cage, or elevator, which hauled miners and coal cars up and down the vertical shaft. A total of 1,425 mine cars and 24 miles of rails and haulage tunnels were underground. Thirty five eclectic mine locomotives operated in the mine and 5 steam locomotives were used on the surface. In 1972, a towering 208 foot steel and concrete breaker was constructed to replace an earlier wooden breaker destroyed by fire. The breaker was the centerpiece of the colliery, where the coal was cleaned and prepared for market. It was capable of processing more than 7,800 tons of raw material daily, producing 90 railroad cars of anthracite coal for market. No. 8 Colliery closed in 1954 following the decline of the coal industry and the rise of other sources of energy.
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Friday, August 7th, 2015 at 6:02pm PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||18T E 423800 N 4519977|
|Decimal Degrees||40.82728333, -75.90368333|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 40° 49.637', W 75° 54.221'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||40° 49' 38.22" N, 75° 54' 13.26" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 400-434 US-209, Coaldale PA 18218, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.