In 1893, Dr. Elisha C. Etchison purchased the northwest corner property at Diamond and Summit Avenues from John B. Diamond and opened a pharmacy / drug store. Although the business at this site has changed owners several times over the years, there has always been a drugstore at this location. Etchison's business card boasted that customers could have a "prescription carefully compounded," or could pay 25 cents to buy one-half pint of "Elliot's Emulsified Oil Liniment Rub," guaranteed to stop any "ache or pain that can be reached externally." The drugstore remained in the Etchison family for several decades before becoming Barnett's, Lynn's and eventually, Diamond Drug. In addition to purchasing prescriptions, toiletries, and novelty items, customers relaxed at the soda fountain, where they enjoyed delicious 10-cent ice cream sodas.
(Photo caption): W. D. Barnett Drugs and Chemicals / Diamond Drug Store circa 1920