In 1859, Father J.J. Claris offered the first mass in Brashear, as Morgan City was called up to the centennial year of the nation. The patron saint originally was St. Justin The Martyr, later St. Clotilda, Queen of France. During the tenure of the first pastor, Fr. Mathurin Chapin, the titular became The Sacred Heart of Jesus. Gradually built from 1902 to 1924, the present church was constructed during the pastorate of Fr. Andrew Souby (1898-1935), who for years also ministered to Berwick, Ramos, Bayou Boeuf, Bayou L'Ourse, Gibson, Donner and Chacahoula. Holy Cross Parish was formed out of Sacred Heart of Jesus in 1964.