In the 1920's Cameron boasted over 40 trains a day and three active stations, including the elaborate Cameron Junction, described as one of the most popular and elegant eating houses in the West.
Two Cameron men are credited with initiating the Hannibal and St. Joseph Railroad, the first to cross Missouri. State Senator George Smith petitioned the legislature, while Col. M.F. Tiernan surveyed the route. Seventy five railroaders shared ten gallons of whiskey for completing the line by Valentine's Day, 1858.
A second branch of the Hannibal & St. Joseph was built in 1867 and the Chicago, Rock Island & Pacific became Cameron's third rail line in 1871. The North Missouri railroad, from St. Louis to St. Joseph, also used the tracks for a period of time.
The depot on this site was erected in 1898 and had separate waiting rooms for men and women.
By 1955 the number of trains had dwindled to five a day, and the tracks were removed in the mid 1980's.