Cannery and MillsAs the area's agricultural community flourished and the railroad was introduced, Gaithersburg soon became the commercial hub of the mid-county region. The Gaithersburg town center shifted from Frederick Avenue to Diamond Avenue near the train station and along the railroad tracks. Commercial mills and a cannery sprang up, providing a local market for area farmers, offering jobs, and fueling the economic growth of the community. Built in 1917, Thomas and Company Cannery and its store house were located on the corner of Chestnut Street and West Diamond Avenue. The cannery ran day and night during the peak summer months, processing corn, pumpkins, and peas. It employed not only locals but also migrant workers, many of whom settled in Gaithersburg. The Bowman Mill, one of several local mills spurred by the coming of the railroad, was built by the Bowman Brothers in 1919. The town gradually shifted from farming village to thriving shipping and receiving center for market goods.
|Placed By||City of Gaithersburg|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Sunday, August 31st, 2014 at 11:22pm PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||18S E 310497 N 4334790|
|Decimal Degrees||39.14170000, -77.19273333|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 39° 8.502', W 77° 11.564'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||39° 8' 30.12" N, 77° 11' 33.84" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Area Code(s)||301, 240, 202|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 5 S Summit Ave, Gaithersburg MD 20877, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.