As the battle unfolded on the morning of August 30, 1862, General Patrick Cleburne began to arrange his artillery. Cleburne placed the 1st Texas just north of the Irvine-Lancaster Pike (present-day Crooksville Road). His plan was to next move Marion's Florida Light Artillery Battery east of that position giving him eight guns that he could bring to bear from the east of the Old State Road (US 421).
Cleburne sent a courier ordering the Florida Artillery Battery forward and Capt. John M. Martin wasted little time in obeying the order. The Battle of Richmond was the first engagement for the Marion Florida Light Artillery. Perhaps it was a desire to please their commanding general and fellow Floridian, Edmund Kirby smith, or just poorly worded order, but for whatever the reason, Capt. Martin began unlimbering his guns about one-half mile north of where Cleburne intended.
Martin was ordered to place his battery near the first brick house facing the road past the crossroads. Had Martin been south of the crossroads this order would have been a problem. It appears that the Floridians were already north of the crossroads near Kingston when Martin received the order, and consequently this first brick house fitting the description was Pleasant View. Martin rushed north beyond the main Confederate line and began unlimbering his guns less than 600 yards south of the main Union line.
A regiment of Indiana infantry saw the battery and unleashed a deadly fire upon the unprotected artillerists. Captain Martin fell after taking a shot to the head. Several officers and enlisted men were mortally wounded. Some of the battery's horses were also hit. The untried battery was taking a beating and panic set in among the recruits. Fortunately, cooler heads quickly realized a mistake had been made and the battery withdrew south.