The Industrial Heritage TrailImage Source: Historican American Engineering Record. Jet Lowe, photographer, 1994. This 1,000,000 bushel elevator was completed in 1911 to supply Spencer Kellogg's linseed oil mill, the world's largest at the time. Unlike most of the elevator on the Buffalo River, the Spencer Kellogg facility did not handle raw grains for foodstuffs or mill flour. Instead, the company concentrated in the processing of non-combustible vegetable oils, particularly linseed oil. The elevator was the only concrete elevator in Buffalo that featured railroad loading and unloading facilities directly below the bins, which was commin in wooden elevators. It could also receive grain and load products by water by using an adjacent slip connected to the Buffalo River. However, as lake boats became larger, the ability to use the slip was lost. A separate loading bin was added in 1912. In 1923, a five bin steel storage elevator was added (sonce demolished). Finally, in 1936, three 160-foot concrete bins - the tallest concrete silos in Buffalo - were added adjacent to the loading bin. The elevator was purchased by St. Mary's Cement in 1985, and is still in use as of 2012.
|Placed By||The Industrial Heritage Committee, Inc|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Monday, July 20th, 2015 at 10:02pm PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||17T E 674120 N 4747084|
|Decimal Degrees||42.85651667, -78.86876667|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 42° 51.391', W 78° 52.126'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||42° 51' 23.46" N, 78° 52' 7.56" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Which side of the road?||Marker is on the right when traveling South|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 851-863 Fuhrmann Boulevard, Buffalo NY 14203, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.