In 1897, rancher and county official Francis M. Tallant opened Odessa's first livery stable and wagon yard on West 2nd Street, approximately 80 feet southwest of this site. Built close to the railroad station and to downtown, the stable was used by cattlemen who could leave their horses, saddles and guns there while staying in town. In 1906, Tallant sold the property to Charles A. Beardsley, who continued operating the livery and feed stable. The automobile soon changed the local way of life, and in 1915, Joe W. Rice bought the building and converted it to the J.W. Rice and Co. Garage,which operated for many years. The sandstone structure was demolished in the early 1980s.