Russians built California's first windmill at Fort Ross in 1814. The mill ground grain into flour for bread to feed both Settlement Ross and the Russians' Alaskan settlements. While the original structure no longer exists, the historical record captures many image and references to the Russian-style windmill.
The Fort Ross windmill replica has been implemented by "the Link of Times" Foundation and donated to California State Parks in commemoration of the 200th anniversary of the founding of Fort Ross.
This replica stolbovka style windmill, just as the original, features authentic mechanisms, a "nail-free" roof structure make of birch bark, and two pairs of blade wings. This historical reconstruction was carried out by Russian masters of the windmill building technique as introduced in the early 19th century using such traditional tools as an ax, planer, scraper, and adzes of that period. The mill was constructed in Russian and shipped to Fort Ross for installation.
"To the north of the square at a distance of three musket shots, they have a good windmill that grinds perfectly, all of it being made of wood from its foundation up." — Fr. Mariano Payers, during his 1822 visit.