African American Heritage Trail, Washington DC
— Lulu Vere Childers Hall, Howard University Campus —The Howard University Gallery of Art was established in 1928 on the lower level of Rankin Chapel. Professor James V. Herring (1897-1969), founder of the University's Art Department, and professor and artist James A Porter (1905-1970) were its first directors. In 1941 the gallery moved to Founders Library. Twenty years later it moved here to Childers Hall, named for Lulu Vere Childers (1870-1946), former director of the School (now Department) of Music.
|Placed By||Cultural Tourism DC|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Saturday, July 11th, 2015 at 6:04pm PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||18S E 324839 N 4310304|
|Decimal Degrees||38.92418333, -77.02058333|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 38° 55.451', W 77° 1.235'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||38° 55' 27.06" N, 77° 1' 14.1" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 2440 6th St NW, Washington DC 20059, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.