On this hill stood Albany's first public school, a wooden building, erected 1884. It was replaced, 1909, by a stone structure which was enlarged - to the west, 1923, to the east, 1927, a gymnasium was added on the north, 1928. The school and gymnasium were demolished and this building made from their stones, 1960. The south arch of this gateway, an entrance to the stone building, stands on its original site. The north arch was moved from a position sixty feet north. The arched entrances to the gymnasium were rebuilt in the walls flanking the gateway. The date stone opposite if from the addition of 1923.