On November 7, 1862, Gen. John Pemberton reviewed his Confederate troops here. The next day, the army withdrew to a defensive position behind the Tallahatchie River. Union Gen. Grant's forces arrived on the 29th. After learning that Pemberton had withdrawn, Grant moved to Waterford, 8 miles south, on December 1. Holly Springs became a Union supply depot. On December 20, the depot was destroyed by Van Dorn's Confederate cavalry, while N. B. Forrest's men hit the railroad in west Tennessee, forcing Grant to abandon his campaign.