(Side A)(Continued on other side)
The nine-car funeral train for President Abraham
Lincoln departed Washington, D.C. on April 21, 1865.
It arrived in Urbana on April 29 at 10:40p.m.
Urbana's citizens erected an arch of evergreens and
flowers near the station west of Main Street. A
large crowd of mourners received the train. The
arch was hastily removed, too narrow to allow the
train's passage. Other memorial gestures included a
large cross, entwined with evergreen wreathes.
(Continued from other side)
The cross was mounted on the station platform
under the direction of the President of Ladies
Soldiers Aid Society, Mrs. Milo G. Williams. Forty
citizens of different churches sang "Go to Thy
Rest". Ten young ladies entered the funeral car
and strewed flowers on Lincoln's coffin. The train
departed, heading west across the Mad River
Valley, through Rice, Westville, and up the Blue
Hill to St. Paris. On May 3, the train reached
Springfield, Illinois; the President's funeral was