U.S. Battery D,
1st Illinois Light Artillery;
3d Div.; 17th Corps; Army of the Tennessee
Capt. Henry A. Rogers.
Formerly the "McAllister Battery" of the Battle of Shiloh, Captain Rogers' four 24-pounder howitzers arrived on the field around 11 a.m., May 12, 1863, and went into position here. This battery relieved the six guns of De Golyer's battery, which were shifted 150 yards to the west. The four 24-pounders, although at near maximum range of 1,230 yards from the Confederate guns, fired 72 rounds from this position. Maj. Gen. John A. Logan wrote that Rogers' guns "did some most splendid execution."
No casualties reported.