The Reverend William Narcissus Lyster founded St. Michael and All Angels Church in 1843. One of only four Episcopal clergy in Michigan at the time, Lyster established several churches in the area. In 1855 the Right Reverend Samuel A. McCoskry, the first Episcopal bishop of Michigan, laid the cornerstone of this Gothic Revival church, which was dedicated on October 31, 1858. Cambridge Township's earliest settlers, including tavern-keepers Sylvester and Lucy Walker attended this church. St. Michael and All Angels Church, and the adjacent Cambridge Township Cemetery, begun in 1838, are listed in the National Register of Historic Places.