Church of the Most Holy Trinity of the Mountains

Church of the Most Holy Trinity of the Mountains (HM1L8I)

Location: Roma, Lazio 00187 Città Metropolitana di Roma
Country: Italy

N 41° 54.389', E 12° 28.985'

  • 0 likes
  • 0 check ins
  • 0 favorites
  • 185 views
Inscription

Chiesa della Santissima Trinita' dei Monti

— Architettura: G. della Porta, A. Lippi, G. Caronica, G. A. Dosio —

Church of the Most Holy Trinity of the Mountains
T
he SS. Trinità dei Monti with its monastery annex was commissioned in 1502 by Louis XIIth as a church for the French Royal Family. The idea of a church on the Pincio had been promoted by Charles VIIIth in 1494 (approved the following year by Pope Alexander VIth), with the intention of giving it to French monks of the Order of St. Francis of Paola. Building continued throughout the whole of the XVIth cent. and the church was consecrated in 1595. Traditionally attributed to Giacomo della Porta, architects in charge were Annibale Lippi and Gregorio Caronica.
The monumental arrangement of the square in front of the church was ordered by Pope Sixtus Vth who had Domenico Fontana create a majestic stairway (1586-1588) with two flights of steps converging before the church façade, as is recorded in the Peretti emblems carved on pillars on the staircase; the Sallustian obelisk was erected by Pope Pius VIth in 1789.
The church was built in Gothic style with stone from the town of Narbonne; in 1774 Guiseppe Panini reworked the ceiling of the nave and covered up the original Gothic structures thereby comprising the stylistic harmony of the interior. Further to [Following ?] Carlo Francesco Mazois' restoration of 1816, the monks moved elsewhere, so the King of France in 1828 gave the institution to the Nuns of the Sacred Heart who still live there today.
The façade has only one order of pilasters terminating in an attic with a large central lunette and a balustrade above; on each side stands a tall bell tower with a small octagonal dome. The single-naved interior has six chapels on each side and is divided in two by wrought iron railings, now level with the fourth span though it originally sectioned off the cross in order to keep the seclusion area separate (1679).
The church contains a number of frescoes, some of which are badly damaged: these constitute some of the most important cycles of mid-XVIth cent. Mannerist painting and are proof of the exceptional depth of artistic awareness of patrons of art at that time. Worth viewing are the Chapel of Lucretia della Rovere for which Daniele da Volterra drew cartoons of Stories of the Virgin, painted by other painters including Marco Pino and Pellegrino Tibaldi (1548-1560); the Pucci Chapel begun by Perin del Vaga (1520-27) and completed by Taddeo and Federico Zuccari; the Massimi Chapel with frescoes by Giulio Romano, Perin del Vaga and Daniele da Volterra (of this whole cycle only the famous Deposition of Volterra of 1545 remains); the Turchi Chapel with a Crucifixion by Cesare Nebbia.
A striking cloister has a four-sided portico with ceiling frescoes by Avanzino Nucci featuring portraits of the Kings of France; lunettes contain Stories of the Life of St. Francis of Paola (1579-1584) worked on by Paris Nogari, Cristoforo Roncalli, Jacopo Zucchi and the younger Cavalier d'Arpino.
Chiesa della Santissima Trinita' dei Monti
L
a SS. Trinità dei Monti, eretta dalle fondamenta con l'annesso convento nel 1502 per ordine di Luigi XII, è la chiesa dei reali di Francia. La sua construzione sul Pincio era stata promossa da Carlo VIII nel 1494 (e approvata l'anno seguente da papa Alessandro VI), con l'intenzione di concederla ai religiosi di nazionalità francese dell'Ordine di S. Francesco di Paola. I lavori di construzione si protrassero per tutto il XVI secolo, e la chiesa fu consacrata nel 1595. Responsabili della fabbrica, tradizionalmente attribuita a Giacomo della Porta, furono gli architetti Annibale Lippi e Gregorio Caronica.
La sistemazione monumentale della piazza antistante la chiesa si deve a papa Sisto V, che tra il 1586 e il 1588 fece realizzare da Domenico Fontana la maestosa scalinata a due rampe convergenti davanti alla facciata, come testimoniano gli stemmi Peretti scolpiti sui pilastri della scalinata; i'obelisco Sallustiano venne innalzato da papa Pio VI nel 1789.
La chiesa fu construita in stile gotico con pietre provenienti dalla città di Narbonne; nel 1774 Giuseppe Panini rifece la volta della navata e, coprendo le strutture originali gotiche, finì per compromettere l'armonia stilistica dell'interno. Dopo il restauro del 1816 di Carlo Francesco Mazois e in seguito all'abbandono dei religiosi, nel 1828 il re di Francia concesse il convento alle Suore dell'Istituto del Sacro Cuore che tuttora vi dimorano.
La facciata, a un solo ordine di lesene, è conclusa da un attico, con lunettone centrale, coronato da balaustra; ai lati, due slanciati campanili con cupolino ottagonale.
L'interno a navata unica con sei cappelle par lato, è diviso in due parti da una cancellata in ferro battuto, attualmente posta all'altezza della quarta campata, ma in origine collocata all'altezza della crociera, allo scopo di tenere separato l'ambiente della clausura (1679).
La chiesa custodisce una serie di affreschi, taluni purtropppo molto danneggiati, che costituiscono alcuni dei cicli più significativi della pittura manieristica romana della metà del Cinquecento e testimoniano il livello di sensibilità artistica raggiunto dalla committenza del tempo. Si ricordano la cappella di Lucrezia della Rovere, par la quale Daniele da Volterra realizzò i cartoni con le Storie della Vergine poi eseguiti da vari pittori, tra cui Marco Pino e Pellegrino Tibaldi (1548-1560); la cappella Pucci, iniziata da Perin del Vaga (1520-27) e terminita da Taddeo e Federico Zuccari; la cappella Massimi, con affreschi di Giulio Romano, Perin del Vaga, Daniele da Volterra (dell'intero ciclo resta solo la celebre Deposizione del Volterra; 1545); la cappella Turchi, con la Crocifissione di Cesare Nebbia.
Notevole il chiostro, dove le volte del quadriportico sono decorate da affreschi di Avanzino Nucci con la serie di ritratti dei re di Francia; nelle lunette, Storie della Vita di S. Francesco di Paola (1579-1584) a cui collaborarono Paris Nogari, Cristoforo Roncalli, Jacopo Zucchi e il giovane Cavalier d'Arpino.
Details
HM NumberHM1L8I
Tags
Placed ByMinistero Per I Beni E La Attivia Culturali - Presidenza Del Consiglio Dei Ministri Dipartimento Del Turismo. Soprintendenza Arceologica di Roma - Soprintendenza ai Beni Ambientali e Architettonici di Roma, Comune Di Roma – Assessorato alle Politche Culturali – Sovraintendenza Comunale ai Beni Culturali – Assessorato al Turismo e Giubileo, Azienda di Promozione Turistica di Roma
Marker ConditionNo reports yet
Date Added Sunday, June 21st, 2015 at 10:02am PDT -07:00
Pictures
Sorry, but we don't have a picture of this historical marker yet. If you have a picture, please share it with us. It's simple to do. 1) Become a member. 2) Adopt this historical marker listing. 3) Upload the picture.
Locationbig map
UTM (WGS84 Datum)28T E 708757 N 4642456
Decimal Degrees41.90648333, 12.48308333
Degrees and Decimal MinutesN 41° 54.389', E 12° 28.985'
Degrees, Minutes and Seconds41° 54' 23.34" N, 12° 28' 59.1" E
Driving DirectionsGoogle Maps
Which side of the road?Marker is on the right when traveling South
Closest Postal AddressAt or near 319-375 Piazza della Trinità dei Monti, Roma Lazio 00187, IT
Alternative Maps Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap

Is this marker missing? Are the coordinates wrong? Do you have additional information that you would like to share with us? If so, check in.

Check Ins  check in   |    all

Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.

Comments 0 comments

Maintenance Issues
  1. Is this marker part of a series?
  2. What historical period does the marker represent?
  3. What historical place does the marker represent?
  4. What type of marker is it?
  5. What class is the marker?
  6. What style is the marker?
  7. Does the marker have a number?
  8. What year was the marker erected?
  9. This marker needs at least one picture.
  10. Can this marker be seen from the road?
  11. Is the marker in the median?