Early preaching services of the Evangelical Association were held in homes, schoolhouses, and public buildings. The first church building of the denomination was erected at this spot in New Berlin, Union County PA in 1816. The lot for the building was bought May 1, 1815, for the purchase price of $112.00.
The original meeting-house was a log structure, 24x38 feet, and had two entrances with double doors. The windows were small and few in number. For evening services the room was lighted by candles arranged along the walls. The "pews" were benches with open backs and fashioned from boards. The pulpit resembled a birds's nest and was built into the west wall half-way between the floor and the ceiling, with a narrow stairway for access. It was only large enough to hold one speaker at a time. There was no carpet on the floor, and the windows were without shades. No paint was used on any part of the interior. The building was heated by a large, wood-burning, ten-plate stove in the center aisle.
The structure was erected with funds gathered over the large territory in which the Evangelical Association operated and was formally dedicated on March 2, 1817, by Presiding Elder John Dreisbach - the highest ranking official of the Association. It was a day of rejoicing for the ministers and members of the denomination.
In later years the building was weather-boarded and painted white, a small steeple with a bell was placed on the roof, and the interior was remodeled. The structure was torn down in 1873, when a brick church building was erected two blocks to the north, and relics were made from the pulpit an pews.