The first General Conference of the Evangelical Association, meeting in 1816 in the house of Martin Dreisbach of Buffalo Valley, Union County PA, authorized the establishment of a denominational printing house. The 1815 purchase of this lot in New Berlin, and the purchase of a printing press in Philadelphia by Presiding Elder John Dreisbach, laid the groundwork for such an undertaking. A smaller building was constructed beside the newly-erected meeting-house and operations began in October 1816. George Miller of Harrisburg was hired to be the printer, and Rev. Solomon Miller of Schuylkill County was elected to the office of publisher.
The first two volumes released by the printing house in 1817 were a revision of the denomination's Discipline (essentially a German version of the theologically similar Methodist Episcopal Church) and a new hymnbook Das Geistliche Saitenspiel (The Spiritual Psaltery). Within twenty years the operation had outgrown the original small building. A larger facility for the printing press, bindery operations and living quarters was purchased on the northeast corner of Market and Plum Streets. The publishing house of the Evangelical Association occupied that structure, now a private home, until the entire operation moved to Cleveland OH in 1854.
As compensation for losing the publishing house, New Berlin was named as the inaugural site for Union Seminary, the denomination's first permanent educational institution and the forerunner of Albright College. The second printing house building then served as a girls' dormitory from 1854 until it was sold in 1864.