On this site stood the massive Little Mountain Indian Mound, from which Mount Sterling derived its name. Constructed by the Adena Indian culture about 2000 years ago, the circular mound stood 25 feet in height and 125 feet in diameter and was located along the Warrior's Trace.
It was a prominent landmark used by William Calk and Enoch Smith to survey land claims in 1775. James Estill and his men camped here on March 21, 1782, the night before the battle of Estill's Defeat. In 1845, the city removed the mound & extraordinary artifacts of copper, marble, stone, and shell were recovered during the excavation.