Founded c.1750 as "Black's Town" and called "Smith's Town" after 1759. Renamed "Mercersburg" in 1786 to honor Hugh Mercer, a Scot, who came to this area c.1749, established a local medical practice and served with distinction as a Colonel of the PA. Militia during the French & Indian War. Befriended by George Washington, Mercer moved to Fredericksburg, Va. in 1761 where he conducted a successful medical practice until the beginning of the American Revolution when he was appointed Colonel of the 3rd Va. Regiment. On Gen. Washington's recommendation, Mercer was appointed Brig. Gen of the Continental Line, serving at the crossing of the Delaware and the Battle of Trenton, Dec. 26, 1776. He was critically wounded leading his brigade at the Battle of Princeton, Jan.3, 1777 and died on Jan. 12, 1777.
(Inscription below the image in the upper left) Hugh Mercer 1725-1777. "He lived among these people, attended them in sickness, shared their dangers and led them out against their common foe."