Mt. Moriah was founded in 1879. The oldest church in the area, it was relocated to this site in 1893, predating the Orange Mound community by seven years. A vernacular-sandstone building, the present edifice was completed in 1926, during the pastorate of the Rev. A.D. Bell (1926-1945). The Rev. Roy W. Norsworthy, a Memphis civil rights leader, served as pastor from 1946 to 1986. In 1996, the 300-member church, under the Rev. Harvey B. Jackson, hosted the Progressive National Baptist Convention, Inc.