First Home of the PCL San Diego Padres
— 1936-1957 —Hurriedly built in two months by the Works Progress Administration (WPA) for $25,000 in 1936, this wooden, green painted and later termite-infested ballpark was the original home of the Pacific Coast League (PCL) San Diego Padres. The breeze that once carried baseballs from Lane Field onto Pacific Highway still blows in from San Diego Bay. Legend goes that left-handed hitting Ted Williams...or Max West, Jack Graham, Luke Easter...or George McDonald hit a home run that bounced into an open boxcar. The ball was later found 120 miles away in Los Angeles. This was the longest home run ever hit.
|Placed By||San Diego Ted Williams Chapter, Society for American Baseball Research|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Saturday, May 30th, 2015 at 2:01pm PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||11S E 483806 N 3619812|
|Decimal Degrees||32.71596667, -117.17280000|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 32° 42.958', W 117° 10.368'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||32° 42' 57.48" N, 117° 10' 22.08" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Area Code(s)||619, 858, 949, 310, 510,|
|Which side of the road?||Marker is on the right when traveling North|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 1001-1161 N Harbor Dr, San Diego CA 92101, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.