Batterie d'artillerie de la Pointe FrederickIn November 1812, guns of the original fort here were fired against American ships attacking Kingston. Perhaps this attack came as retaliation for the earlier Canadian one on Sackets (sic) Harbor, but more likely American commander Chauncey felt his squadron sufficiently strong to destroy Anglo-Canadian power on the lake and centered at Kingston. But that failed, giving the British Army the opportunity to build here a new, more powerful battery of 6 and 9 pounder guns with a 45-foot square blockhouse. Supporting buildings at the tip of Point Frederick provided protection for the blockhouse which stood on the approximate location of the Fort Frederick Tower, constructed in 1846 and preserved today as the Museum of the Royal Military College. Additional batteries and fortifications were established on Point Henry and fortified outposts were built on Amherst and Snake Islands, Lemoyne Point and Lake Ontario Point to control the approaches to Kingston harbour, but these guns were never fired in action.
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Saturday, May 23rd, 2015 at 10:03pm PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||18T E 382592 N 4898127|
|Decimal Degrees||44.22691667, -76.47001667|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 44° 13.615', W 76° 28.201'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||44° 13' 36.9" N, 76° 28' 12.06" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 9-15 Passchendale Dr, Kingston Ontario , CA|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.