Side 1:(Continued on other side)
Organized October 18, 1850 on two acres of land donated by Col. Eppy White, using the Greek word "Eudora" signifying "good gift" as its name, this church met in a log schoolhouse until the congregation's first structure was erected in 1851, its first pastor being J.B. Canada. Here, at what was then called White's Station, a larger building of wood-frame construction was completed in 1858. During the Civil War, the sanctuary was used as a Federal hospital.In 1866, the "Memphis Avalanche" newspaper held an ice cream supper to raise funds for the restoration of the church's interior. This wood-frame sanctuary remained in constant use until its demolition in 1964, with the present sanctuary being dedicated on July 21, 1968.
(Continued from other side)
Of the congregation's many pastors, Dr. Fred M. Wood. Sr.'s service was significant for its length (1952-1983) and Eudora's unprecedented growth. Every church building except one was planned, built, dedicated and paid for during his tenure and church membership and Sunday and Sunday School enrollment grew to its greatest number recorded. In 1973, the church proudly hosted the 99th annual Tennessee Baptist Convention. In 1998, Eudora was able to temporarily accommodate the Memphis Symphony and a Mandarin Church. The city's development patterns brought younger families back into the community and Eudora Baptist experienced growth once more. The church continues on its stated mission of being "In The Heart Of Memphis For The Heart Of Memphis."