On June 21, 1929, a deed was recorded in the Register of Deeds office in Oshkosh. This simple two-page document concluded a battle of sorts, and helped create and preserve this beautiful park and the lovely Lakeshore Drive which gently winds its way to Kimberly point park. At that time, a local citizen was quietly attempting to purchase the point and block the drive from public use in order to build a large mansion for himself. When Helen Kimberly Stuart got wind of the plan, she was spurred to action. The results of her efforts culminated in that simple deed which called for the land conveyed "to be used permanently, continuously and forever for public park purposes." Is also required that the Lake Shore Drive be similarly "Maintained as a public street throughout its entire length." Finally, the deed stated that the park shall continuously, constantly and forever be named and called "Kimberly Point" or "Kimberly Point Park" in commemoration of John A. Kimberly, father of Helen Kimberly Stuart.Presented to the city of Neenah as a memorial to Susan Kimberly Sutter, great niece of Helen Kimberly Stuart
In 1848, a young John A. Kimberly moved from Troy, New York to the wilderness of Wisconsin. He and his family settled into the Kimberly homestead on Wisconsin Avenue. In 1872 he co-founded Kimberly & Clark Company which became Kimberly-Clark Corporation at the time of his death in 1928. Helen Kimberly Stewart, named after her mother, was born in 1868. She became the first woman alderperson in Neenah and in 1948 founded the Neenah Historical Society. Her brother, James C. Kimberly gave the lighthouse at the park to the city in 1945. As you visit this beautiful park, Please remember the efforts and generosity of Helen Kimberly Stewart in preserving the Park and Lakeshore Drive for the enjoyment of all.