Pinewood (Cocoplum) Cemetery is the oldest designated cemetery in the Miami area and one of the oldest Coral Gables Historical sites. Adam and Rosa Richards deeded one acre of land on May 13, 1897 for 10 dollars to Wilson A Larkins, Arthur F. Lang and Arthur E Kingsley as Trustees. In 1908, Harley Staudt sold three more acres. Originally known as Cocoa Plumb, its name alternated between Pineywoods, Cocoplum, and then Pinewood. The cemetery includes 268 plots, driveways and a large oval in the center. One of the earliest documented burials was Walter F. Pickford, a local sawmill owner, who was buried in Cocoa Plumb on April 12, 1898. Burials continued until the 1940s. As descendants of those buried at Pinewood moved away, the cemetery became overgrown and vandalized. In 1983, local citizens and civic groups began restoring the cemetery. The City of Coral Gables created an advisory board and allocated funds for the restoration project. These efforts helped return the cemetery to a place of beauty and dignity.