The Cedar Hill area, settled by stock-farming homesteaders about 1890, was named for the nearby cedar-covered elevation.
A one-room school built in 1891 was located about 100 yards north of the cemetery, which remains. However, no post office or town ever developed.
Discouraged by drouths and the lack of conveniences, many people had departed by 1904. The school closed after 1917.
30 years later, an oil boom swept the county. Cedar Hill area, supplying 2 big companies, now lies within one of West Texas' largest oil fields.