(The Caxias House)This house appears on the 1873 city map and was probably built by Jose and Refugia Duran Tejada, who bought the land in 1855 from Concepcion Ruiz. Ernest Hessler, who already owned the two houses to the west on Presa Street, bought the property in 1880, and the small alley in front became known as Hessler Street. Leon Foutrel bought the three houses from Hessler in 1891. The residence was rented for many years, and was owned by the City Public Service Company prior to acquisition by the City of San Antonio in 1940. As part of the La Villita restoration, the street was renamed Calle Hidalgo in honor of Father Miguel Hidalgo y Castilla, who proclaimed Mexico's independence from Spain in 1810. The house is dedicated to Luis Alves de Lima e Silva, Duke of Caxias, Brazil's most famous soldier in the national fight for independence.
|Placed By||La Villita Tenants Association and the San Antonio Conservation Society|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Monday, May 4th, 2015 at 2:05pm PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||14R E 549526 N 3254801|
|Decimal Degrees||29.42156667, -98.48943333|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 29° 25.294', W 98° 29.366'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||29° 25' 17.64" N, 98° 29' 21.96" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Which side of the road?||Marker is on the right when traveling South|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 214 N Presa St, San Antonio TX 78205, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.