(Casa Villita)Colonel Jeremiah Y. Dashiell, a physician who served as paymaster in the U.S.-Mexico War, bought this land on the San Antonio River in 1849. Dashiell was stationed in South Carolina in l856, when he sent his wife and daughter money and instructions for construction of this house to replace an older structure on the site. A boat ferrying Army payroll funds sank while under Dashiell's command, and he was held responsible. As a result of that accident, he was forced to sell the house in order to settle his debt to the government. Augustine Morrisset owned the house from 1860 to 1910, and he and subsequent owners rented it out. The house was severely damaged in the ﬂood of l92l. In l942, prominent local attorney C.A. Goeth sold the house to the San Antonio Conservation Society, which has maintained offices at "Casa Villita" since then.
|Placed By||La Villita Tenants Association and the San Antonio Conservation Society|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Monday, May 4th, 2015 at 10:02am PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||14R E 549624 N 3254831|
|Decimal Degrees||29.42183333, -98.48841667|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 29° 25.31', W 98° 29.305'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||29° 25' 18.6" N, 98° 29' 18.3" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Which side of the road?||Marker is on the right when traveling West|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 511 Villita St, San Antonio TX 78205, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.