Mariano Romano Losana bought this land in 1859, and probably built this house soon afterward. It was purchased by Rafael Lopez in l866 and sold again in 1871, when the deed referred to "the house, out houses, fences and all other improvements." After a succession of owners, Frank Scheuermann, a shoemaker who had previously lived in the Cos House, moved into this house in 1902, and purchased it in 1908. He lived here with his wife and operated his business in the house. Following Scheuermann's death in 1916, his widow continued to occupy the house until 1926. A chemical manufacturing company and a restaurant were among many tenants prior to acquisition of the house by the City of San Antonio in 1939. Hamilton Magruder and his wife Lydia lived here while he served as manager of La Villita from 1941 to 1964.
The form of this house is typical of many nineteenth century San Antonio houses. It has a gable running parallel to the street with a shed roof over the from porch and an enclosed shed at the rear.