Considered the first purpose-built auto racing facility in the United States when completed, the Lakeside Auto Speedway transformed the nascent motorsports movement by moving races off dangerous public roads and horse racing tracks.
The Speedway was constructed by John H. Gay, owner of the popular Lakeside Inn as a means to improve business and attract more people to his resort. He invested $10,000.00 in the project, which resulted in the construction of a 60 foot wide, 2 mile long high-speed packed clay oval circling Lindo Lake adjacent to the Inn.
Lakeside Auto Speedway opened on the weekend of April 20-21, 1907. As a huge crowds watched, a number of speed records were set during the weekend, culminating with famed race car driver Barney Oldfield setting a new world automotive speed record of 69.49 miles per hour (111.83 km/h) in his peerlees 'Green Dragon' racer.
The speedway continued to attract racers and spectators alike for over a decade until the Lakeside Inn closed and was demolished in 1920.