Originally called Northwest Beach Park when Monroe County began its development in 1929, the park's name was changed to Hamlin Beach State Park when New York State took title in January 1938. Company 1252 of the Civilian Conservation Corps arrived at the park in 1935. Over the next six years, its men constructed roads, trails, fountains, culverts, drinking fountains, parking lots, recreational facilities, walls, jetties, thirty fireplaces, and six buildings here. This aerial photograph shows Camp SP-53 on Moscow Road, where CCC Company 1252 made its home from August 1935 to August 1941. All photographs courtesy Hamlin Town Historian. Company 1252 stands at attention on front of its barracks. This photograph shows the interior of the CCC camp's recreation hall where CCC enrollees would relax and unwind. This entrance sign welcomed visitors to the newly designated state park. From 1933 to 1942, the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) rescued roughly two million men from poverty and provided them with jobs doing sorely needed coservation work during America's worst economic crisis, the Great Depression. CCC Company 1252 was housed at Hamlin Beach from 1935-1941.