A Brief History of "White's Corners"The intersection of Main and Buffalo has changed many times over the years. About 1820, this settlement was called "White's Corners" as Thomas T. White had a shop here. The village grew rapidly after the Buffalo and White's Corners Plank Road was built around 1850. In 1871, the post office was called "Hamburgh" and the village took the name in 1874. In 1877, the final "h" was deleted, making our community the village of Hamburg. In 2007, the intersection of Main and Buffalo Streets was changed to a modern traffic roundabout, once again changing the appearence of White's Corners. This panoramic photograph shows the four corners of Main and Buffalo Streets, decorated to celebrate "old Home Days", the 10th anniversary of the town of Hamburg. This photograph was taken in 1912 by Frank J. Fisher using a Cirkut camera that rotated 360 degrees on its tripod, capturing the village activity. The southwest corner was dominated by Federspell Grocery Store. This building was later used as Eckhardt's Hotel, and then Kronenberg's Store before it burned in 1972. The Bunting Block stood on the northwest corner. This landmark was built by Thomas L. Bunting and housed "six stores in one." Horton's Pharmacy was located on this corner for many years. The Bunting Building Block was destroyed by fire on May 23, 1969. Kopp's Hotel and Opera House was on the northeast corner. This is where George Kopp ran the largest and most lively social hall on the village. All the big events were held here; music recitals, Hamburg Academy graduations and the annual Hamburg Free Library Ball. The B.M. Fish Dry Goods Srore was on the southeast corner. Burton M. Fish operated the store. The Hamburg Free Library was located on the second floor until 1915. The Fish building burned in 1917 and the Hotel Hamburg, also located on this site, burned in 1967.
|Placed By||Village of Hamburg Historic Preservation Commission|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Wednesday, April 15th, 2015 at 10:01pm PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||17T E 677758 N 4731518|
|Decimal Degrees||42.71560000, -78.82916667|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 42° 42.936', W 78° 49.75'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||42° 42' 56.16" N, 78° 49' 45" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Area Code(s)||716, 718|
|Which side of the road?||Marker is on the right when traveling North|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 8 S Buffalo St, Hamburg NY 14075, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.