On November 23-26, 1909, an automobile road race was held to promote the need for "good roads" in Florida. "The Great Endurance Run," as it was called, was sponsored by "The Tampa Daily Times" under the auspices of "The Tampa Automobile Club." The grueling, four day "endurance run" from Tampa to Jacksonville did, indeed, foster bond issues and highway construction throughout Florida.
The first place award was "The Tampa Times Trophy" and five acres of land in "Zephyrhills Colony." This "prize real estate" is approximately one mile west of this marker and some of that exact land has been transferred here, into this planter box, in commemoration of the 75th anniversary of "The Great Endurance Run."