On July 9, 1907, 43 years after the battle of Monocacy, 180 veterans of the 14th New Jersey Regiment returned to dedicate this monument in honor of their comrades and their sacrifices. Most of the men wore a memorial pin on their lapel, given to them the morning of the ceremony. It was a joyous, yet somber occasion—joyous to be reunited with old friends, yet somber because more than 140 members of the regiment had been wounded, captured, or killed at Monocacy. After the Civil War, many states built monuments like this one to commemorate the sacrifices of their fallen sons; a small gesture, but appreciated by those who served.
It will be...a lesson in patriotism to this and future generations, and remind all who may look upon it that New Jersey's sons did well their duty on this field in the great struggle for a United Nation.
Rev. Dr. W.W. Case, excerpt from his monument dedication speech, July 9, 1907
(lower left) The State of New Jersey placed the first monument on the battlefield. Other monuments were later added: Pennsylvania (1908), United Daughters of the Confederacy (1914), Vermont (1915), and Maryland (1964).
(lower right) At the dedication ceremony former members of the 14th New Jersey Regiment—known as the Monocacy Regiment—were presented this commemorative pin. The regiment was assigned to Monocacy Junction from September 1862 to June 1863, returning during the Gettysburg Campaign and once more in 1864 to fight.