The Santa Ana River once made an estuary along Mariner's Mile. The 1916 flood prompted efforts since to confine the river to its concrete bed on the border with Huntington Beach. A 1920 county bond issue enhanced the dredging of the bay to establish the present bulkhead line.
City pioneer James McFadden connected ocean-going trade with inland Orange County through Mariner's Mile, by horse-drawn wagon from 1870 to 1891, and by railroad afterward.
State Route One was completed through Mariner's Mile in 1923. The oldest surviving structure on the Mile, the Arches Restaurant, was built three years earlier.
The city's sport-fishing industry was concentrated in Mariner's Mile in the 1930's and 1940's, supplying up to 73% to the city's revenue.
During World War II, the U.S. Navy built 30' coastal patrol craft, the "Higgins boat", across the highway from this marker.
The city's most destructive fire occurred where you stand, leveling this entire block on January 11, 1973.
Dedicated July 26, 2006, to the city of Newport Beach on the occasion of its first Centennial.